Mountain States Legal Foundation seeks a Managing Attorney with significant Endangered Species Act and administrative law experience for immediate hire. MSLF is a nonprofit, public interest legal foundation dedicated to individual liberty, the right to own and use property, limited and ethical government, and the free enterprise system. Key to our work is the legal staff that advances our mission and principles in courts within the mountain states region and throughout the nation. We are a small team of dedicated professionals, as such, our attorneys are a critical part of MSLF’s team and should possess the passion, commitment, and strategic vision needed to drive our mission to new heights.
The Managing Attorney must be a strategic and innovative litigator with significant administrative law and trial experience. The Managing Attorney is primarily responsible for his or her own caseload, litigating cases from the filing of a complaint or petition for review to oral argument or trial. Additionally, the Managing Attorney assists the General Counsel in supervising and mentoring less-experienced attorneys. Responsibilities also include developing new cases, extensive legal research, fact and expert discovery, drafting briefs and motions, trial preparation, and appellate advocacy.
The Managing Attorney reports to the General Counsel.
• 8-10 years of legal experience with a focus on the Endangered Species Act and other environmental laws and regulations.
• Significant litigation experience in federal court and before administrative agencies.
• Strong research, writing, and communication skills.
• Licensed to practice law in Colorado or eligible to waive into the Colorado bar.
• A team leader and mentor. The Managing Attorney must be able to assist in leading a team of junior attorneys in complex litigation matters, overseeing their activity, and developing their skills throughout the litigation process.
• Passion for MSLF’s mission: a deep interest in protecting individual liberty, the right to own and use property, limited and ethical government, and the free enterprise system.
Salary commensurate with experience. MSLF’s compensation package includes generous health and dental benefits, vacation and sick days, a retirement plan, plus more.